I live in an area where Shentel is the only ISP in town.My complaint is, Shentel never delivers even 1/4th the bandwidth of the Internet Plan I pay for.
Shentel's super-slow Internet service is practically unusable with continual dropouts, can't check my email, and web pages just can't load many times throughout the day (but weekends are the worst). But when I attempt to run a speed test, it typically can't run because there's not enough bandwidth to even load the speed test website page! Ridiculous. When I can run a speed test I'm typically getting less than old fashioned dial-up speeds - yet I faithfully pay my Internet bill each month.
I used to spend hours on the phone each week discussing solutions with Shentel's 'technicians' - a total and complete waste of time. The real problem is Shentel's network, but their technicians are trained to try and convince customers that their slow network speed is a customer premises problem. In fact, one of their techs, after conducting a supposedly 'exhaustive test' told me that the problem had been isolated to my near new, high-end ($150+) Linksys modem, and that it needed to be replaced. I initially protested because my Linksys modem passed all of its diagnostics tests.
But reluctantly I went out and purchased a different high end ($150) modem (Netgear), which proved to have absolutely no impact on Shentel's slow Internet speeds whatsoever. So now I don't bother calling them any more having wasted nearly 100 hours on the phone with their experts. I've been a victim of Shentel's monopoly at my location for over 11 years. I believe their misleading advertising concerning their bandwidth capabilities is false and misleading.
But what's worse is the Service Agreement contract you sign with them for a certain bandwidth capacity - that they know their network cannot reliably support. I travel internationally for my job and can honestly say that I get better Internet service in 3rd world countries. I suspect Shentel is diverting their profits to executive management salaries rather than investing in needed upgrades to their network infrastructure.
If a competitor ISP were available I'd be willing to pay even more - to reliably get the service I was contracting for.Shame on you Shentel.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Blaming customer for bad internet
- Reason of review:
- Not as described
- Preferred solution:
- $1,500 rebate or its equivalent via a Major Maestro Internet services plan upgrade.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Shentel Maestro
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "On Friday evening a DirecTV employee accessed my roof and trespassed illegally. There were a total of 6 signs that this technician ignored. Not only did he set off the..."
- "4 years ago we started with Century Link in Las Vegas. Loved it. Had Prism TV. Loved it as well. Moved to Florida and immediately called Century Link. Found out..."
- "I bought a new Nokia C3 and a month later wanted to switch to a different cell phone service provider. Consumer Cellular would not unlock my phone! They said it..."
- "I put my checking account information in for ACH payment one Dec. 3, 2016 checked my account weeks later. It showed the payment went through and the balance left was..."
- "I have been ordering from Rose Wholesale since late September and have purchased many items such as shirts, belts, shoes, underwear. I can tell you in no uncertain terms they..."
- "Order flowers all the time for the Villages. Wanted to try a local florist, so I called AVAS and ordered flowers over the phone. Mike suggested a vase with an..."
- "I called to cancel my service May 28 2014. I was told I had to send a letter. I submitted said letter but they continue to remove the funds from..."
- "Im on my 9th and final call. I ordered a 90.00 gourmet basket from this company for my father for Fathers Day. To this very day I have yet to..."
- "When I had bought the house a couple months ago I noticed that water was overshooting the gutters. At that time Gutter Helmet was already on the house. I had..."