I live in an area where Shentel is the only ISP in town.My complaint is, Shentel never delivers even 1/4th the bandwidth of the Internet Plan I pay for.
Shentel's super-slow Internet service is practically unusable with continual dropouts, can't check my email, and web pages just can't load many times throughout the day (but weekends are the worst). But when I attempt to run a speed test, it typically can't run because there's not enough bandwidth to even load the speed test website page! Ridiculous. When I can run a speed test I'm typically getting less than old fashioned dial-up speeds - yet I faithfully pay my Internet bill each month.
I used to spend hours on the phone each week discussing solutions with Shentel's 'technicians' - a total and complete waste of time. The real problem is Shentel's network, but their technicians are trained to try and convince customers that their slow network speed is a customer premises problem. In fact, one of their techs, after conducting a supposedly 'exhaustive test' told me that the problem had been isolated to my near new, high-end ($150+) Linksys modem, and that it needed to be replaced. I initially protested because my Linksys modem passed all of its diagnostics tests.
But reluctantly I went out and purchased a different high end ($150) modem (Netgear), which proved to have absolutely no impact on Shentel's slow Internet speeds whatsoever. So now I don't bother calling them any more having wasted nearly 100 hours on the phone with their experts. I've been a victim of Shentel's monopoly at my location for over 11 years. I believe their misleading advertising concerning their bandwidth capabilities is false and misleading.
But what's worse is the Service Agreement contract you sign with them for a certain bandwidth capacity - that they know their network cannot reliably support. I travel internationally for my job and can honestly say that I get better Internet service in 3rd world countries. I suspect Shentel is diverting their profits to executive management salaries rather than investing in needed upgrades to their network infrastructure.
If a competitor ISP were available I'd be willing to pay even more - to reliably get the service I was contracting for.Shame on you Shentel.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Blaming customer for bad internet
- Reason of review:
- Not as described
- Preferred solution:
- $1,500 rebate or its equivalent via a Major Maestro Internet services plan upgrade.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Shentel Maestro
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Hello! I am reporting from Cleveland, Ohio and I was introduced to the ACN opportunity by my girlfriends parents, Corey and Tonya Anderson. I visited their home at Thanksgiving to..."
- "I had ordered iPhone replacement parts from Quality Repair Parts in 3403 Oakland Park, FL on May 26th 2015. After reviewing the company website I was lead to believe that..."
- "Yelp.com has a Big, Filthy, Disgusting Habit of Using People to write Reviews For Free and Profiting from the Reviews. I can NOT believe that I am actually Writing A Negative..."
- "I called to cancel my service May 28 2014. I was told I had to send a letter. I submitted said letter but they continue to remove the funds from..."
- "Im on my 9th and final call. I ordered a 90.00 gourmet basket from this company for my father for Fathers Day. To this very day I have yet to..."
- "When I had bought the house a couple months ago I noticed that water was overshooting the gutters. At that time Gutter Helmet was already on the house. I had..."
- "After learning the hard way that my kindergarten son's school has never been able to reach me via telephone, Only a recorded msg that the call can not be completed..."
- "I purchased this "sport" windscreen from an Ebay seller from Italy for an XDiavel. BEWARE!!! The bolts that came with it are MUCH too short, and are black steel..."
- "Just moved into Waterbrook Apartments in Southern California and for 2 weeks we have been fighting with maggots outside on our patio. It took management 2 weeks to figure..."