Shentel Internet Service (Maestro) - is Worthless

I live in an area where Shentel is the only ISP in town.My complaint is, Shentel never delivers even 1/4th the bandwidth of the Internet Plan I pay for.

Shentel's super-slow Internet service is practically unusable with continual dropouts, can't check my email, and web pages just can't load many times throughout the day (but weekends are the worst). But when I attempt to run a speed test, it typically can't run because there's not enough bandwidth to even load the speed test website page! Ridiculous. When I can run a speed test I'm typically getting less than old fashioned dial-up speeds - yet I faithfully pay my Internet bill each month.

I used to spend hours on the phone each week discussing solutions with Shentel's 'technicians' - a total and complete waste of time. The real problem is Shentel's network, but their technicians are trained to try and convince customers that their slow network speed is a customer premises problem. In fact, one of their techs, after conducting a supposedly 'exhaustive test' told me that the problem had been isolated to my near new, high-end ($150+) Linksys modem, and that it needed to be replaced. I initially protested because my Linksys modem passed all of its diagnostics tests.

But reluctantly I went out and purchased a different high end ($150) modem (Netgear), which proved to have absolutely no impact on Shentel's slow Internet speeds whatsoever. So now I don't bother calling them any more having wasted nearly 100 hours on the phone with their experts. I've been a victim of Shentel's monopoly at my location for over 11 years. I believe their misleading advertising concerning their bandwidth capabilities is false and misleading.

But what's worse is the Service Agreement contract you sign with them for a certain bandwidth capacity - that they know their network cannot reliably support. I travel internationally for my job and can honestly say that I get better Internet service in 3rd world countries. I suspect Shentel is diverting their profits to executive management salaries rather than investing in needed upgrades to their network infrastructure.

If a competitor ISP were available I'd be willing to pay even more - to reliably get the service I was contracting for.Shame on you Shentel.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Blaming customer for bad internet

Reason of review:
Not as described
Preferred solution:
$1,500 rebate or its equivalent via a Major Maestro Internet services plan upgrade.
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Shentel Maestro
Review category
review #801963 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Shentel? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.